Sunday, July 12, 2009

You know that one time when I said...



If you know me well, you know that I often find myself complaining about vocals. It's safe to say that in general, whacked out vocal styles just don't do it for me. Don't whine, don't fake an accent, don't make your voice shudder.
--insert autotune debate here--
If I'm aware of some deeper artistic expression and/or rebellion, well okay I'm inclined to appreciate that, aka the punk movement. If, however, I feel like you're just trying to get a rise of your hipster fanbase, I'm done. Equally painful, but more at the level of sympathy, when a band has great instrumental and songwriting potential, but decides it's okay to let someone sing who obviously cannot. If your band's signature sound is not purpose-driven, but merely a result of a lack of talent, you've got to wonder.

All that said, I find myself regularly breaking my own rules. For reasons I cannot explain, I present to you three groups that I keep adding to my present listening rotation, despite their borderline painful shaky, nasally or awkward voices. So I eat my words, enjoy!

_Michael

Airborne Toxic Event - Sometime Around Midnight


Passion Pit - Little Secrets


Empire of the Sun - We Are the People


No comments:

Post a Comment