Sunday, May 3, 2009

Not in Arizona



Every once in a while I feel like I've struck gold with a musical find. Even when I'm not convinced that they're going to be the next big thing or that all of my friends need to listen to their music, I still feel obliged to share. I'm convinced that most people have some odd, unexplainable attraction to a very specific genre or sound. A tune that just makes them feel right.

My relatively new exposure to the French band, Phoenix, is giving me hints of that "right" feeling. Emerging from suburban Versailles (joining the ranks of Air and Daft Punk), this foursome has those ingredients of funk, indie rock, electronic and pop that seem to work for me.

Their first, self-titled album was released in 2000 and had some great, accessible songs such as this one:



Their next two albums, Alphabetical and It's Never Been Like That were released in 2004 and 2006 and further defined the bands sound, introducing more electronic. Check out "Long Distance Call" or "Run Run Run" alongside this one



Releasing at the end of this Month, Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix is looking promising with their first single "1901" released as a free MP3 and their latest, "Lisztomania". Look for them in San Francisco at the Regency Center on June 27.

No comments:

Post a Comment